Friday, June 3, 2011

Defecation Days


Ever have those days when you feel like you’re being, well, crapped on? No, I mean, literally.
Today we visited the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park in Albuquerque. As we were crossing the parking lot, I noticed that a large painted turtle was crawling under the wheels of a car. I picked it up, meaning to set it down in the grass alongside the parking lot. And it peed on me. Really peed. I mean—it gushed all over my camera and my hand in the few minutes it took to carry him to the roadside. I’m sayin’ that turtle must’ve been hollow with the entire inside filled with turtle pee. 
My husband found this totally amusing until I asked for his handkerchief to wipe off my camera.
No good deed goes unpunished.
And then later we went to the Albuquerque Biopark (zoo.) At the lori display, this very engaging lorikeet hung on the front of the cage, seeming eager to get my attention. I came closer. He stuck his tongue out at me.  Intrigued, I came even closer. Then he projectile pooped on me.
I didn’t even know such a thing was possible.
After that, I was paranoid. I’m thinking kamikaze hummers.


Pugnacious peacocks.
Spitting giraffes.
It’s a jungle out there.


2 comments:

Sharron said...

Oh my gosh! You had me rolling on the floor laughing. Of course, I looked at the floor before I fell on it. Didn't want to land in something - unpleasant. I also loved the title of this blog!

Bev said...

Too funny! Hey Cinda, my name is Bev Kodak. I'm the Director of the YA Lit Track at Dragon*Con. I see on my guest report that you're attending this year. We should talk about panels you'd like to do. If this sounds good to you, please email me at ya lit at dragoncon dot org and we'll get the ball rolling.

Regards,
Bev